Thursday, November 20, 2008

MUXTAPE #19: fuck the fest, here's the rest



MUXTAPE

Since this is the year of pop-punk, I decided to make myself a "The Fest!" themed tape (tape #16, to be posted about later). I loved it so much that it almost made me jealous of the kids who live in Gainesville and get to go to The Fest! every year, but then I remembered that they live in Gainesville. In response to this, I created another tape with a theme in mind: kids that get to go to The Fest! suck. Basically, it was supposed to be a compilation of bands I would want to play my version of The Fest! Here we go! By the way, this is going to seem like a lazy muxtape post, but there are just so many great videos for these bands these days.

1. The Ergs! - "Books About Miles Davis (Hindsight is 20/20, My Friends)"
Too bad they're breaking up. How could you not like this?

2. Good Luck - "How To Live Here (Into Lake Griffy)"
Another case of "how could you not like this (courtesy of ifyoumakeit.com again).

3. Algernon Cadwallader - "Some Kind of Cadwallader (Some Kind of Cadwallader)"
One of my favorite new bands this year. They sound like Chicago in 1997 in the best way. This just looks like fun. There actually was a video for this song on ifyoumakeit, but I just thought that the quality of this video was far superior.

4. Lemuria - "Dog (Get Better)"
Yet another wonderful ifyoumakeit video here.

5. Vivian Girls - "Wild Eyes (s/t)"
Something about this video creeps me out a lot, but they are one of the best new bands.

6. Teenage Cool Kids - "Queer Salutations (Queer Salutations)"
Something about this band just makes me want to be friends with them. They're from Denton, TX. I feel like there's another band from Denton that I really like, but I can't remember who it was. Anyways, here's a very professional looking video.

7. Underground Railroad to Candyland - "Over and O'er (Bird Roughs)"
Torres said it best. Todd C. is basically what will happen to Mike Saks in 20 or 25 years. This album was a 2007 album and it is the reason I am going to have a separate list for 2007 albums I discovered in 2008. URTC is one of the most fun bands out there. Come see them tomorrow at the Smell!

8. Off With Their Heads - "I Am You (From the Bottom)"
Punk rock Dicky Barrett?

9. Fucked Up - "Vivian Girls (Hidden World)"
They got banned from playing MTV once, but they kept coming back. Pretty great.

No comments: