Friday, November 21, 2008

Jeff's End of 2008 List




Today, we have a very special guest list from the one and only Big Jeff Enzor of Big Death and The Rolltop Loys. I'm excited to post all of these, so keep 'em coming!


1. Department Of Eagles - In Ear Park
I feel connected to Mr. Rossen in a strange way. It's like we share the same musical makeup and he understands how to make every note beautiful to my ears. This album is nearly flawless.

2. Bonnie "Prince" Blilly - Lay Down In The Light
Call me naive, but I feel like this in Oldham's musical masterpiece. It may not be as artistic or emotional as his other great works, but I feel like this album just has everything a great record should; highs, lows, depth, pizazz, and pristine production.

3. She & Him - Volume 1
I don't know why I had such high hopes for this album. I guess I just thought it would make for an interesting story if it actually turned out to be good, and it most certainly has. The best part about this is how it seems like the two of them were making the album completely for thier own enjoyment.

4. Titus Andronicus - The Airing Of Grievances
This is everthing rock music should be. Loud, energetic, catchy and with just enough anger to give it some weight without becoming bloated. This band is one like an idea that seems so simple and perfect, and you wish you had thought of it first.

5. TV On The Radio - Dear Science
When I first heard "Dancing Choose" I figured it was about time to stop caring about this band. Then I was bored one day and decided to give the album a shot and was blown away too many times by their craft to ignore it. This is one of those rare instinces where the slicker the band's production got, the better.

6. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Good pop, plain and simple.

7. Thao and the Get Down Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings And All
It's basically the other batch of songs written for Cat Power's "You Are Free" and this isn't a bad thing. Indie pop by a girl that just barely slides under the cuteness threshold.

8. Stephen Malkmus & Jicks - Real Emotional Trash
Malkmus finally found a good mix of jamming and songwriting, and Janet Wiess is a perfect addition to the Jicks.

9. Foot Foot - Trumpet
They really should be a lot bigger than they are. Wonderful songwrting that isn't dressed up in bells and whistles and gimmicks just won't cut it, I guess.

10. Jason Andeson - The Hopeful And The Unafraid
Even though it is flawed the album has enough boombast and sincerity to make you love life for its 40 minutes.

Honerable Mentions:
The Mae Shi - Hlllyh
Grouper - Draggin A Dead Dear Up A Hill
Parenthetical Girls - Entanglements
Shugo Tokumaru - Exit
Algernon Cadawaller - Some Kind Of Cadawaller
Lil Mama - Voice Of The Young People
Pattern Is Movement - All Together

Dissapointments:
Of Montreal - Skeletal Lampings
High Places - High Places
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea