Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Bouncing Souls - "Gone" and another reflection.



I often forget (or take for granted) how amazing life is. This whole week, I've been beyond tired. The amount of work I have to do over the next two weeks seems unlimited and impossible and it's really taking its toll.

Today, I made a somewhat comical mistake. I got a class email that had a set of discussion questions addressed to certain students who signed up for particular articles. One of them was addressed to me, however I didn't remember signing up for it. I looked at the email an hour before class and I hadn't read the article at all, let alone thought about the answer to any question. I hurredly summarized the piece and answered the questions as quickly as possible. When I got to class, I found out that the question was addressed to the other "Chris." I wasn't even angry or disappointed, but I felt a little defeated. It was hubris and I should have seen it coming. I shouldn't complain so much, I guess.

The reason this really didn't sting so much was that I came to a point of surrender while working. Generally, I find it helpful to listen to something that will keep me awake while I'm working. Today, I chose the Bouncing Souls' Live album. I generally concentrate on the work for the most part and the music just serves as "mood lighting" in a way, but when I got to "Gone," I stopped dead. I was amazed at the fact that I forgot how many rough days the song got me through. The ideas presented in the song were so important to my development as a person as a whole; it was because of this song, I officially changed my life outlook from "realist" to "optimistic realist."

This seems to happen to me a lot. I'll forget about this song, but somehow, providence will bring me back to my central focus and the lyrical intensity of this song just when I need it. The song seems too simple in a certain way, but it is truth to live by.

The album that the song originally came from, How I Spent My Summer Vacation, is simply one of my favorite childhood albums. I was probably in 7th grade and I knew next to nothing about punk, but I had heard "Gone" on Punk-o-rama TV and I liked it the more I heard it. Once I went out and bought the album, I couldn't put it down. Some of the songs contain a sense of longing for the past and the innocence of youth, but the beautiful optimism of the songs really outweighs the grief over the loss of innocence. Friends, please take the time for this album. It will change your life.

Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

No comments: