Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Autolux - Future Perfect



Nighttime has never been good to me. I cease to function properly after a certain hour. Well, that's not entirely true, but I definitely don't prioritize things correctly late at night, as evidenced by the time stamps on most of my entries on this blog. Tonight, there are many things I should be doing, but all I can think about is how dark it is outside and how much that makes me want to listen to albums like American Football or Twinkle Echo or Film School.

I've always loved to listen to Autolux in the dark. Two summers ago, I spent many nights in my room listening to this album, focusing on nothing else. If you take away your other senses and just listen, you start to hear things you didn't when you were in the car or walking to class. The immaculate detail in production comes from the budget Autolux had to work with. Not only were the members of the band some of the most influential "alternative" artists of the 90s, but T-Bone Burnett himself handpicked and produced the band. T-Bone seems like he'd be out of his element with dark, ethereal, post-alt rock, but he knew exactly what he was doing... either that or it has to do with Greg Edwards ruling at everything, especially his post-Failure guitar tone.

It's not just the guitar tone that amazes me. Eugene's bass tone and Carla's drumming (SHE WAS IN EDNASWAP, FOR GOD'S SAKE) are equally great. The pace of the songs; the way they slow down just enough for you to catch up, and then the way they pull away from you at the last second.

God save Autolux, because if their next album is a disappointment after so many years of waiting, the 90s are going to be PISSED they let Greg, Carla and Eugene escape with a shred of dignity.

Autolux - Future Perfect

2 comments:

jennifer dungca said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G30FfPjXTvk

frenesic said...

oye los links se piden


www.frenesic.com