Monday, September 8, 2008

Will I see you tonight?



Over the past few days, I've had the strangest sensation. If you've read any of these entries, you know what trouble I have sleeping. I slept hard this weekend, especially on Saturday, however the few waking hours I had that day were spent listening to records I hadn't listened to much yet or hadn't listened to in a long time. I stumbled upon Tom Waits' album Rain Dogs. Some days, I'm glad I can't listen to more Tom Waits because I'm pretty sure I'd slowly drink myself to death, however it just clicked. When I got to "Downtown Train," I got that feeling that I get in the middle of the night when no one else is awake.

Rolling Stone said that Rain Dogs was the "finest portrait of the tragic kingdom of the streets." There's a strange calm loneliness that washes over the majority of Waits' music, however Rain Dogs is particularly desolate. I find this to be particularly true after you've been up for more than 20 hours and you don't know what to do with yourself. I've just about done it all (besides what I need to do, that is). I have no idea what time I started this post, but it is definitely 3am now and I can't seem to sleep, even though I had the opportunity to. I only have one question for you: will I see you tonight?

1 comment:

John Brzezicki said...

Best Tom Waits song.

"..fool moon.."

check out Geno myspace for the new cut! Hope it helps you sleep bro.