Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"Rudie Can't Fail"



Spring break: day 2.
Today, I watched the Joe Strummer documentary, The Future is Unwritten. Of course, there were ridiculous moments of Bono talking about how the Clash should still be making music today and very tender, but unnecessary moments of Steve Buscemi talking about being intimidated by Strummer while making Midnight Train, but just like with every other serious music documentary I've watched in the past few years, I've managed to take something away. The last few minutes of the documentary are audio of Joe Strummer's World Service radio show set to scenery of Strummer's friends and family sitting around campfires all over the world; he talks about how we all have the ability to do anything we want, as long as we want it bad enough.

After a long conversation with John Brzezicki of Lazer, Inc., I've received an assignment. I'm beginning to realize what I want to do with my life and John has tasked me with putting it down on paper. I've decided that I'm going to put all of my half-skills to use all at once: I want to write a book. This is something I've always wanted to do, however, I've never had enough content or drive to finish one.

I've decided that while I'm in grad school, I will be working on a thesis that I will eventually shop around to publishers, detailing the new school of fundraising, putting to work my knowledge of web2.0, the non-profit world and lifestyle marketing.

I've decided to take John's assignment just a step further and start listing the things I don't know now, but should learn about in order to write this, starting here:

-more about the changing economy of America
-basic sociology/urban studies/demography
-the current fundraising models
-how to be a better writer.

A while back, I saw a book called Punk Rock Marketing (or something of the sort). On the cover was a huge black 'A' in a circle, surrounded by magenta. I decided to look past that, just to see if there was any substance inside. Basically, what was contained therein was trash. I don't remember much of it, but basically, it was all about employing a "punk ethos" into marketing, which basically boiled down to "You can do it yourself! But don't forget, you're still working for the man!" Basically, I felt a little ridiculous reading it. I want to write a book with the same idea, but without the ridiculous notion of being "punk rock" or anything for that matter. I want to write a book for people trying to make it while helping other people.

This isn't something I can accomplish by myself. I know I'm going to ask each and every one of you for your help at some point, so thanks in advance for your friendship and support.

The video? Yeah, it's not "Rudie Can't Fail" or even a Clash video for that matter, but it's just as good. Yes, it's the Pogues, but who are all the rest of those people and why are they singing a song I've heard before? Yes, that's Lynval Golding onstage with the Pogues, singing "A Message to You, Rudy." If you look very closely, you can see Kirsty MacColl, David Byrne and Joe Strummer all singing with Lynval, Shane MacGowan and the Pogues. "You better think of your future" is the line that ties this all together.

2 comments:

Justin said...

CAPITALIST PIGS, PUNK ROCK WALL STREET PSEUDO ROBOT HALF MACHINE HALF BREED, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT PUNK ROCK, WE GOT THE NEUTRON BONG

Chris Torres said...

I have been making so many Smiths references lately AND I have started a book too. Distance..shimstance.