Thursday, March 20, 2008

Metal Beginnings, Dethklok and a Day of Returning to Roots



Dear Diary,

I miss blogging. It's been a few weeks and I have no excuse, really. I'd like to think that I've been busy, but I really couldn't say that. It seems like I've been busy, however, we all know that being busy is just a figment of our imagination. It's like we're trying to convince ourselves that we're more important than we really are.

Anyways, I've been in this strange place of not really listening to much music. It's been about a week and a half right now. I usually am pretty stoked on something I just downloaded, but I really don't have anything like that right now. This feeling sort of sucks; music is one of the most important things in my life.

This morning, as I walked to class, I got the genius idea to listen to The Dillinger Escape Plan on the way. Now, since all of you know me, you know that I used to be way into ridiculously technical metal. There was nothing more comforting to me than a sweep picked math riff. This has always proved to be a problem with all of my friends, who don't really understand my love for all things hardcore.

It is a bit ironic, I suppose, however, there was a time in my life where I thought drop C# breakdowns were the coolest thing in the world. Throw in a few dissonant note combinations and you have yourself 50% of a song. All you'd need besides that was the mandatory two-step/circle pit part, multiply by 10 or 12 and you have an album.

The disconnect between my friends and I came when I was watching Metalocalypse with Jeff, John and the Jennifers. It was the Bluesklok episode where Dethklok is tasked with learning how to play the most depressing music ever, the blues. There is one particular scene where the two obviously Scandinavian guitarists are trying to learn to play blues riffs from an old blues man. The guitarists are only able to play ridiculous, Dragonforce-type riffs, full of pentatonic goodness.

Of course, I thought this was hilarious and no one else did. It was funny, not only because I really love metal, but also because the riffs were referencing The Dillinger Escape Plan (I'm pretty sure). After getting completely stoked on "Sugar Coated Sour" walking through campus, I realized that The Dillinger Escape Plan is absolutely genius. The way the two guitars interlock with the drums is ridiculous. It's some kind of Ruins drumming acrobatics, paired with some of the most ridiculous guitar parts I've ever heard.

We all have to go back to our roots sometimes.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
The Dillinger Escape Plan feat. Mike Patton - Irony is a Dead Scene

1 comment:

Mr. Popularandrich said...

John again.

Don't single yourself out on the metal buddy, you know I'm a die-hard oldschool metallica and yngwie malmsteen fan. Randy Romance came to my lingerie party last night.