Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Something I forgot: the definition.

I assume that I'm the only one reading this, but I feel like I need to at least define the title of the blog. This is for my own gratification, as well as my own betterment. If I have to constantly define and redefine what it means to me, I will gain a greater understanding in the long run.

The word "gravitas" is a Latin word without a literal translation in English. It is usually used in reference to politicians. It refers to that "x-factor" that's so hard to describe in a person. It means "dignified" and "serious," but it means so much more than just what the dictionary tells you. It means that someone is "an unseen force," which is where the word "gravity" comes from. Gravitas is about the way a person carries him/herself; they command respect without being condescending. When one has gravitas, it means they have what it takes to be a truly great leader.

This is what I strive for in all aspects of my life. The last few years have been a quest to find a purpose and this is it. It's so easy to slip into the annals of mediocrity, especially where I am, both in actual location and in life, but this is what really matters. Those who know me might say otherwise about me; know that I am not perfect and I am actively working towards bettering myself. There is no "winning" this one; the pursuit of gravitas is all there is, since it is like perfection, never really to be attained, except by gods among men.

This blog is mainly devoted to my obsession with pop music, but is also a point of refection on that music. Pop music can often be the most mindless, by-the-numbers genre, but every once in a while, you stumble upon some great life truth in its simplicity.

1 comment:

Justin said...

also sounds like a great drone/ doom metal band's name.