Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The English Beat - "Save it for Later"



I've been putting this off for too long, so forget having some amazing first entry that has a mission or real purpose or anything like that.

I've been thinking a lot about the future in the last few months. It's totally intimidating and I'd rather put it off. Considering how much time to myself I really have these days, the time seems right, so here's step one: I'm looking for artists. The project I intend to start is a lifelong venture and I am looking for people who want to get a piece of the action; I am truly looking for someone who is willing to invest their time and efforts, as well as their talents. Please please please email me if you fit the description and/or know of someone who does.

As for the attached video, I haven't got a lot to say, other than how much I love Special Beat Service. I was given the album on 12" some years ago by an aunt who was way into Elvis Costello and stuff like that in the late 70s. The album was buried beneath Born in the USA and some Barry Manilow album. The cover is nondescript enough, and since I knew nothing about two-tone, the album was overlooked for almost a year before I pulled it out and listened to all it had to offer. I know the naysayers out there will ask, "But what about the Specials?" "What about Madness?" "The English Beat is second rate crap compared to anything Lynval's ever done," even though Lynval was in the English Beat for a short time (I think they called themselves the Special Beat, which is kind of endearing, in a sad, dumb tribute act way). Everyone that has listened to two-tone at one point or another has heard The Beat's Smokey Robinson cover, but most people don't go too much further into their catalogue, which is a shame. "Save it for Later" is just one example of how great pop was in the two-tone era.

Do yourself a favor by finding a copy of Special Beat Service and taking a little time out of your day for expanding. A lot of it is going to seem cheesy and forced, but the hooks are good and really, what pop in the 80s wasn't cheesy?

No comments: