Wednesday, October 31, 2007

HIM - "Join Me (In Death)"



It's halloween. What can I say? I just saw Ted Leo rip through an hour and a half of material that sounded a lot faster than the studio versions and a Misfits cover. Yeah, he started the set by playing "Twist of Cain" and that was amazing, but really, when it comes to ridiculous halloween fodder, there is nothing better than HIM (His Infernal Majesty) aka Bam Margera's favorite band. They're from Finland and have been around for like 20 years or something ridiculous like that (it's more than 15... I know that for sure).

If I didn't get that dirty, manufactured feeling from their music, I might find it somewhat enjoyable, but the way everything is recorded just begs to be played in grocery stores. The synths are thin, the guitars too polished and the drums don't really sound real. I say I might find it enjoyable, but I don't really mean that. Well, I can't decide. I guess, like most other shiny, lab-tested pop, I can safely say I "appreciate it for what it is." I enjoy the craft that goes into making something like this song, "Join Me." Who really thinks about this crap? It can't be the ever-so-dark frontman Ville (or whatever his name is). Just like all mindless MTV pop, I assume it comes from some sad bastard in his late 40s that just reads the My Chemical Romance message board all day, looking for someplace to start... either that or there's literally a music factory run by a mysterious "C+C."

Anyway, the story goes that this song was a huge hit in the UK; so much so that it eventually ended up on one of those creepy kids compilations where the kids sing the songs. That is what makes this song actually cool. Unfortunately, I couldn't dig up the audio to prove its existence, but just listen to the damn song. You can imagine just how creepy that would actually get if you want to have a super scary halloween.

No comments: