Monday, January 5, 2009

My 2nd Annual Christmas Address (on Patience)

Ed: So here's the deal. I am often reminded about how patience is largely ignored. I'm sitting at my grandparents' house, trying to boot Windows XP from a disc and do a complete System Restore. I've been ignoring the part of my brain that tells me to be patient. You don't always get what you want exactly when you want it. I don't know exactly what it is I've been looking for, but I certainly wasn't going to get it overnight. I have had a rough few weeks and I've been really bad about answering my phone. If you've tried to call me, sorry about that. I will explain in full when I see you all in person, if I haven't already talked to you. Anyways, this was the original Christmas Eve entry. It is unfinished and unedited and presented for your consideration. Expect an email with my Christmas gift.



You know, it seems like every year, I miss Thanksgiving. I know it's coming and I gladly participate in it, but I really miss it. What I mean by this is that I seem to forget its purpose. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm still in the middle of my semester at school and not being capable of thinking of much else, but every time Christmas rolls around, I snap back into a real place of reflection. Last year, my address came on December 13, my last night of studying for finals. This year, I'm writing this on Christmas night; I've been home for almost two weeks and I feel like I've wasted so many of those days, working towards nothing important.

It seems like every year, I'm given the same revelation over and over. I look back and tell myself that "this was the hardest year EVAR" or some such nonsense without really thinking about it. I quickly recover and realize that everything I complain about is what the rest of you people call "life." The only difference from before is that the challenges are different; as I get older, the problems get harder and harder, but this is only fair as I'm given more and more capacity to handle things as the years go on. I'm no different from any of you, however I seem to have an abnormal fascination with thinking that my circumstances are "so harsh." I really don't know if this is suburban affective disorder, what comes with being 22 or just something that is a lot more common than I think.

As with every year, I've had challenges and victories, both big and small. Some of you were there with me and the rest of you I missed dearly. I deeply appreciate the support I get from every single one of you and hope that I can return the favor twentyfold.

No comments: