Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dear 2009,



What will you bring us?

Hipster Runoff just posted his first mp3 of 2009 ("searching for ‘the next relevant sound’ to align my personal brand with") and it makes me think about what this year will bring for each of us. As I'm typing this, I hear Vampire Weekend on a Grey's Anatomy preview; think about where those guys were this time last year. They were probably six or seven months out of Columbia, in the middle of recording what would become their first album. Did they think that they were going to be this year's Beirut? Well, maybe, but you know what I mean.

Something seems different about this year. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just time for indie rock to die again or maybe it's where I am in my life, but it's time for a change (OBAMA FTW BANNED WORD KTHX). Maybe this isn't all about the music; I guess it really never was.

No comments: