Monday, December 1, 2008

Justin's End of 2008 List




Editor's Note:
To everyone who has previously submitted a best of list, thank you so much. Doing this is so much more fun when it's collaborative and we get to read each other's writing. Today, I have the distinct privilege of posting Justin Conway's Best of 2008 list. Spoiler alert: our lists turned out to be pretty similar in major ways. Final note: to those who still haven't submitted one, send 'em my way!

I’ll start by saying that I never got into pop punk when most people did. I never recognized it as a legitimate form of music, and why would I? I listened to the Germs and Crass, what good would sissy music with whiny vocals do for me? Well 2008 has provided a great awakening for me. A few of the bands on my list are very much pop punk oriented, and as well as falling deeply in love with these bands, I revisited many of the bands that I never would have given a moments listen when I was younger. I find myself now singing along to the Get Up Kids while driving in my roommate’s car, while everyone else is coming from nostalgia, the experience entirely new and wonderful to me. That said, I would say that 2008 was aptly coined “Two Thousand Great: Pop Punk Forever!”.

As far as albums that were released in 2008:

1. Good Luck - Into Lake Griffy
I love this record so much. Definitely my favorite record of 2008. There’s something about Matt Tobey’s vocals that make me feel young again. This album is so solid its ridiculous. What I have noticed is that pop punk albums don’t fare too well past summer, but this a year round record.

“Is it impossible, friend?/ Is it only a dream to find truth in the visions you see?/ Or to believe the love that I'm waiting for is somewhere waiting for me?/ Well maybe the way to get what you want/ is to stop waiting for it to show up./ Have faith in the wind and the rain it will come (but only if you let it come).”

2. Moscow Olympics - Cut the World
It took me a little while to truly appreciate this record. At first listen I figured it was simply some band that was trying to sound like New Order in a really cheesy way, but man did this album hit me hard. Imagine Northern Picture Library covering all of “Movement”. Very shoegaze-y while still remaining delightfully poppy and seemingly perfect for the Sarah Records roster.

You’re not supposed to hear lyrics in shoegaze songs

3. Why? - Alopecia
This CD is so heavy! I have loved Why? ever since I first heard “Elephant Eyelash”, but this album is so different. I can’t reinforce how hard hitting this album is. What I’ve noticed about Why? is that most of the songs are the most incredible collection of one-liners carefully put together in a fascinating collage, but shit man, this album is fucking HARD.

“Even though i haven't seen you in years, yours is a funeral i'd fly to from anywhere”

4. Young Widows - Old Wounds
I really have no clue what’s going in the Louisville scene, but this album rips. Kind of sludge-y, kind of punk, this album rules. Think Jesus Lizard or Melvins playing a show with Coliseum.

"She healed you with her fingernails, she healed you with her teeth"

5. Off with Their Heads - From the Bottom
So much to be said about this band. For sure were my favorite band this year, but this record holds nothing on the “Hospitals” EP. Off With Their Heads are a more punk sounding Dillinger 4, as well as more drunk. This year I fell in love with the gruffy sound of No Idea Records pop punk. The thing about this album, and all Off with Their Heads songs, is the juxtaposition of the bleakest lyrics with the greatest catchy guitar parts! This album rules though, rips all the way through.

““I’ll tell you why I fucking hate my life and I’ll tell you why I can’t seem to get it right.”

6. Algernon Cadwallader - Some Kind of Cadwallader
Sound exactly like Cap’n Jazz, but its still so good.

“Bop Shoo Bop, Shoo Bop Bop Bop” or
“OH MAN, ITS TAKING ME OVER”

7. Dear Nora - 3 States: Rarities 1997-2007
Dear Nora has quite possibly my favorite band for years now. I still feel strangely fan-boy-ish when talking with Katy Davidson, but all of that aside, this is a wonderful compilation of material spanning 10 years. I thought I had the complete collection of Dear Nora recordings, but as it turns out I was way off. The CD is 57 tracks, which seems long at first, but listening to it is a trip! Katy arranged the songs from when they were recorded, so you can totally hear her progression as an artist. Its an incredible record and well worth the listen.

Too many perfect lyrics to pick one.

No comments: