Saturday, October 18, 2008



I've come out of the other side of the tunnel, ladies and gents, and yet, here I am blogging at 540am on a Saturday morning.

Midterms have come and gone and I've slept probably less than the year Chris and I worked at the station. I feel like I am not very productive during the day and that the hours during the night just keep coming, one after the next, telling me I should stay up a little later because I haven't done enough work or I can't sleep or I should finish watching the episode of Real Time I started watching. In this morning's case, I slept hard between 3am and 5am, only to wake up to a very cranky mother who needed to be awoken at 730. This definitely sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm trying very hard not to.

Either way, the last few weeks seemed to present me with new lows at every corner, accompanied by the huge resulting upswing the next morning. If nothing else, the epic lack of sleep and weird moods have led to a varied soundtrack. Last night I took a huge nap, mostly because I wasn't feeling enough like myself. I listened to tons of Radiohead and felt great (not depressed) about it. I've been listening to tons of folk punk at four in the morning these last few weeks. I'll listen to the new Andrew Jackson Jihad EP or the Paul Baribeau/Ginger Alford tour CD and get stoked on how anthemic Springsteen covers can be. I've probably been listening to unhealthy amounts of a new band called Algernon Cadwallader lately, who sound EXACTLY like Cap'n Jazz in the best way possible. Sometimes, I'll sit and watch the second hour of American Morning on CNN without the sound and I will listen to Tom Waits and look out the living room window to see the fog rolling up the hill and over the ground. I've found myself trolling food blogs and foodie message boards at 530am and listening to Toys That Kill and Off With Their Heads. Sometimes I will listen to Lemuria and the Ergs! while sitting at my desk in my apartment or the new Good Luck album while sitting at my desk in the office and I will think about how much I would like to be posting about any of this, but I can't bring myself to log in, because what would I really write about anyways? How sad I am? Again? DUMB!

Any way you decide to unpack all of that, you can see that there are a few winners, especially the Ginger Alford related projects, the first of which is was a tour CD-R she recorded with Paul Baribeau for a tour they did together last year. The tour focused on playing Springsteen covers and even though a tour CD-R generally doesn't make up for missing a chance to shout "Bobby Jean" with a bunch of anarchist-lite bike punks, it's still a great remedy for late nights (download). The new Ginger Alford band features Matty Pop Chart and is called Good Luck. It's super positive pop-punk with the most amazing guitar playing that even Ted Leo would be envious of (download).

Now, I'm watching CBS' Early Show and John Popper is the guest. I guess that's what you get for airing at 623am.



I love you all and I hope that you're sleeping well.

ps. http://www.wthefilm.com/
it's going to be AWESOME, or at least I hope so.

No comments: