Saturday, January 26, 2008

One of the three good things Philadelphia has given us: Dr. Dog





If you had come to me three years ago and asked me what good Philadelphia was to me, I wouldn't have given you a very good answer. I probably would've said that Philadelphia's only contributions to society were The Starting Line and Philly Cheesesteaks. Now, I realize there is something more (like the integral role it played in helping to build our democracy).

I thought about the path I've come down the other day, in regards to what I listen to. In middle school, my friend Erin and I were nearly inseparable. We listened to pop-punk and loved our lives. As we entered high school, Erin got into punk and I got into really technical hardcore; a year or two later, Erin was into goth and metal and I was into emo from the mid-90s. Now, Erin listens to a combination of everything she used to listen to and I basically only listen to pop music. I've long been an appreciator of jangly pop songs, but only recently have I admitted to myself that that's what I really love; it's not about whatever avant-single note, 32 minute composition your friend just turned you on to, but it's really about anything that can be said in three minutes.

The three things that came from Philadelphia that I now appreciate are: democracy (close enough, right?), Man Man and Dr. Dog. Today, we're here to talk about Dr. Dog.

When Dr. Dog and Cold War Kids were touring together, I didn't know what to think. I hadn't heard much and I basically wrote them off as being some sort of trendy, hipster, atonal nonsense. Little did I know that Dr. Dog was one of the most fun, melody loving bands out there today. Take, for instance, the first video attached. It's a live performance of "Ain't it Strange," a song that was originally released on the 2006 Takers and Leavers EP. This song is pure genius as far as I'm concerned. The subtle organ parts, the very obvious, but not heavy-handed solo/outro, the perfectly recorded harmony vocals and that reggae bassline that you can't seem to ignore are all reasons for you to listen to at least the one song, if not everything else they've ever recorded.

It's raining again and something tells me that this album will bring a little sunshine into your day.

Dr. Dog - We All Belong

2 comments:

Justin said...

One of the dudes from Golden Boots was/ (in?) Dr. Dog.

420!

John Brzezicki said...

Rocky