Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Best of 2007: Other Honorable Mentions in Two Sentences

A Place to Bury Strangers - A Place to Bury Strangers

I swear to God, when I first heard this album, I thought, "WHERE'S THE DAMN VOLUME AND WHY IS THIS SO LOUD." Upon further listening, I realized it wasn't a volume issue, but the fact that the feedback the Death by Audio crew uses is on the most eardrum piercing frequency ever.

Art Brut - It's a Bit Complicated

Eddie Argos is just one of the most clever gits out there. The first Art Brut album seems a bit dull in comparison to this one; the addition of hookwriting mastermind Jasper Future added a lot to what Art Brut already had going for them.

Au - Au

This was one of the coolest live performances I saw this year. Jarring, multi-instrumental and dramatic; the album doesn't quite hit the same notes as the show, but deserves a mention anyway.

Au Revoir Simone - The Bird of Music

I like girl twee. So sue me.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ask Forgiveness EP
no video available for songs on this EP, but you should check out the video for "Can't Tell Me Nothing" featuring Will Oldham.
Will Oldham is one of the most consistent songwriters out there; a covers record seemed out of order, considering the talent he is. Not only did he choose songs impeccably from all corners of the realm (a Danzig cover AND an R. Kelly cover?), but he paid them respect and covered them well.

Dean & Britta - Back Numbers

I never really got into Luna, even though they paved the way for like half the bands I like. When I found out the Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips were putting out a slow, folk album, all I could think was, "Thank God for Nancy Sinatra," and boy was I right; the best part is that the album is super solid.

Descartes a Kant - Paper Dolls

Discovery of 2007. Spazzy, schizophrenic songs written by young, cute girls from Guadalajara.

Grinderman - Grinderman

Nick Cave going back to the Birthday Party days? Well, while that's sort of true, really, this album is about being a dirty old man and LOVING IT.

Lavender Diamond - Imagine Our Love

If you live in Los Angeles, you've just been dying to hear what Becky Stark was going to release. This was a bit disappointing, considering all the promises of operatic pieces about the most beautiful diamond, eternal sonic frequency and the era of true love, but once you watch the video for "Open Your Heart," you'll pretty much forget everything and fall in love.

Scout Niblett - This Fool Can Die Now

In the past, I always thought of Scout Niblett's albums as a bit uneven. This album contains major collaboration with Will Oldham and amazing production by Steve Albini as well as the most consistent set of songs Scout's ever released (the live show for this album was really good too).

Soulsavers - It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land

Any album featuring Mark Lanegan is good. Next. (Extra sentence merited here: This album would have smashed its way into my top 20 if it reflected just a bit more of what I saw during their live set, though I think most of that was just being in Lanegan's presence.)

No comments: